Monday, August 6

Up in smoke...


Last night I had a dream. And in the dream I smoked a Cigar (It was a very bizarre dream and I don’t remember any of the particulars)

What is it about them that makes people want to blow up their life in smoke???

Curiosity???

I know I was curious about cigarettes as a child. I loved watching the men puffing out smoke. It somehow felt like a very grownup thing to do. But as I grew up, fascination turned into disgust. I did once in a very stupid state of mind take a puff. And my friend A’s reaction said it all. After that I pretty much felt like kicking myself. I, who finds it difficult to stand in close vicinity to a person who has just smoked, actually smoked.

It is said that anything in moderation is okay, but the thing with cigarettes is, there is no moderation. It eventually turns out to be an addiction, no matter what one tries to do. And it’s only when things start to get out of hand, people realize the folly of their actions.

N yes!!! I do know that it’s a personal choice. What I do not agree with - is smoking in a public area. No one can disregard someone else’s life! There are some who even subject their unsuspecting families to passive smoking.

I have friends who smoke and there is nothing one can do or say to make them give up smoking, unless realization hits them like a speeding truck!

N there are those who argue that –“Who wants to live a long boring life?”

Well don’t you want to live a “healthy and fit life” even if it is short?

I don’t know what my dream represents – but I am sure it’s not some unconscious yearning for the unknown. And it’s not like I hope to achieve some noble cause by expressing my confusion. I only hope to clear it by maybe jotting down my thoughts.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Amazing, how a dream about Cigar can trigger a blog about smoking public and private.

Well you are not alone. both in trying that one puff or in hating the smoking chimneys :D

My granddad died with a hole in his throat becoz of too much smoking. Thankfully that left quite a impression on my dad who doesn't smoke. My uncle gave up smoking and now he laughs more, jokes more. he is like a new person altogether.

Another uncle was faced with death when he realized it was tike to kick the habit. They weren't the occasional smokers.. They were CHAIN smokers!!

Unknown said...

Read Some place---

usrg: cigarettes are carcinogenic, too
oink2u: actually, it's the smoke that you inhale from the cigarette that's carcinogenic
usrg: well DUH :-P
usrg: you don't eat the damn thing!

Botchtti said...

Well i am glad that you never had the habit and never will :)

But i still dont understand what is it about those smelly stinky things that people just dont want to give up the habit

Unknown said...

Oh you wanna know? I am sure that one puff dint help you realize the craving behind packs and packs of smokes.

well I've had more than a puff actually. I occasionally smoked till second year intermediate. So.. here is the thing.. It make you feel good from inside.

Some people even like the smell of the smoke that settles on the clothes. which is not very strong but mild.. Hell I still like the smoke of the wrapper of a cigarette pack :) unburnt tobacco :P

A nice puff from a cigarette - Not ones that you smoke and exhale from the mouth itself but the one that you take into your lungs... that is the best kind of puff.. It warms you up nicely on a cold winter night. It sends your head into a slight BUZZZ!!!!!! There are cold nights when I feel I should have been a smoker!! hahahah.. But then.. I better not.

It is jsut another one of those things that are bad for health yet people still try them.. Alcohol being anoher major bane..

Everybody should ask oneself
what is it about those smelly stinky things that people just dont want to give up the habit and stop drinking, smoking and other bad things

Botchtti said...

wow thats some stuff i never knew about you!!!

Am sure by the end of that post you were hankering for one :P
`
waise at the risk of being called a hypocrite i would not want to put alcohol and cigarettes in the same category.... alcohol addiction can be controled to quite an extent... it need not be a habit - some of the "types" are even considered good for health (the operative word being "IN MODERATION")